Working more closely with GNOME

Ed Porras ep@telocity.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:02:31 -0400

In one message or another, Maciej Stachowiak said something like this:
>* Target getting GnuCash into a GNOME release or GNOME Office release
>  (once those are separate) eventually.

I've always wondered about this in regards to apps that use gtk /
gnome.. will such a change restrict the app to only be runable from
within a gdm environment in the future? I'm asking cause, while the
pager and other fancy stuff are very nice for some people
(particularly those we're trying to switch over from Win), I
personally prefer to run windowmaker standalone (and use wdm as the
login manager) specially if the system has 64MB of ram or less..

Currently I am able to run gftp, gnumeric, gtcd and gimp.. however, an
example I can think of right now is gnome-pilot: I run gpilotd from
the WM's autostart script and it has no problem hotsyncing when I push
the button on the cradle.. however, I am not able to run a cron job to
fetch the data for Showtimes (a palm app that has no gnome-pilot
conduit) which then automatically does a file gpilot-install without
it complaining about not being able to open the display (I'll admit I
really haven't looked into it too much, but it just doesn't make sense
as to why it needs that)..

just wondering..

and while I'm at it, has there been some major change in cvs? I
haven't been able to compile the tree the past week.. here's what I
get:

make[2]: Entering directory `/root/src/gnucash/src'
Making all in doc
make[3]: Entering directory `/root/src/gnucash/src/doc'
Making all in design
make[4]: Entering directory `/root/src/gnucash/src/doc/design'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/src/gnucash/src/doc/design'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/src/gnucash/src/doc'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/src/gnucash/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/src/gnucash'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

thanks

-e
--