a single register window

Dave Peticolas peticola@krondo.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:48:04 -0700

"Robby Stephenson" writes:
> Hi...
>
> As a personal opinion, I was thinking the other day that I might prefer to
> have a single register window, with a GtkNotebook of registers, a tabbed
> interface of sorts, between my accounts. I'm not sure if I would prefer that
> in the long run, but I'd like to see how I feel about it. I looked through
> the register window code somewhat, but I wanted to ask on this list about it
> first.

This has been suggested before, so I think it would be good to at least
try it out.

> How difficult do you think it would be to have the capability for opening
> all registers within a single window? Is there anything about the menu,
> toolbar, or whatever, that would require significant coding if one more
> layer of container widget was added to the window? Assuming that it's
> doable, what's the best way to keep track of that single window pointer?

I think the implementation would be fairly straightforward. Some of the
menu items have semantics which depend on which account is open, but that
information would need to be kept around anyway so that the window destroy
api could still be implemented.

> And since it's extremely likely that a user would change the preference,
> already having multiple register windows open, I guess it would be nice to
> be able to reparent the registers into one window. I think gtk+ can do
> that...

I'm pretty sure it can, too.

> Comments? It's an itch I have, but not a major one yet, so I thought I'd
> ask...

If you're interested, then feel free to work on it.

thanks,
dave