Duplicate transactions when importing QIG

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:39:23 -0500

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 02:26:53PM +0100, Keith Refson wrote:
> I am currently running 1.43.  When I import a qif file from my online
> bank which contains transactions already in the gnucash record, the
> duplicates are not detected and the transactions are recorded twice.
>
> Am I correct in understanding that the qif importer is supposed to
> eliminate duplicates?  If so it's not working for me.  Any ideas why?

"Duplicate elimination" in the QIF importer means that transactions
that are reported in multiple QIF files (such as a transfer between
checking and savings, which shows up in both the checking and the
savings account) are matched and merged.

The kind of duplicate detection you are looking for is in the feature
list for the next revision of the QIF importer.  It's a little
trickier, because the fields describing the transaction are often very
different (comparing a hand-entered transaction to a downloaded one)
and it's hard to determine when two transactions represent the "same
thing."

b.g.