Helix GnuCash 1.4.2

Steven Murdoch sjmurdoch@linuxfan.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 01:04:59 +0100

linas@linas.org wrote:

> It's been rumoured that Dirk Koopman said:

> > > Not sure I understand what you're asking; if you have the british
> > > locales set up, then the currency should default appropriately ...
> > >

> > If I select an new account, the one currency I want is UKP (or GBP), it
> > offers everything EXCEPT UKP and defaults as USD.
>
> ?  I still don't entirely understand.  The pull-down menu lists
> 'British Pound (GBP)'.    Are you saying that you want a second
> menu entry 'British Pound (UKP)' ?
>
> Or are you saying that we need to have a second & third menu entry
> alphabetically under 'Great' and 'United'?
>
> You are free to type in any three-letter value that you wish; you are
> not limited to the menu.
>
> > My locale is set:-
> >
> > [djk@dirk2 perl]$ locale
> > LANG=POSIX
> > LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
> > LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> > LC_TIME="POSIX"
> > LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> > LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> > LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> POSIX is a kind of synonym for 'US', which is why gnucash is defaulting
> to dollars.  You might try a locale of 'En_GB' and all that to get the
> currency symbols, dates, etc. to come out correctly.
>
> > which may be another problem, but it doesn't explain why UKP is left out of
> > the currency list.
>
> As far as I know, the ISO 4216 standard only lists one currency for
> england, not two.  If UKP is common usage, I suppose that can be added.
> (you are already free to type it in by hand).   Note that if you create
> one bank account denominated in GBP and another in UKP, you won't be
> able to tranfer funds between them, since gnucash wil assume that they
> are different, unrelated currencies.
The officical currency code for GB/UK is indeed GBP (but ISO-4127, not
4216). I suppose techincally the currency used by Scotland, England,
Wales and Northern Ireland should be called the UKP (as United Kingdom
encompasses Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but Great
Britain is only Scotland, England and Wales), but it's not so I'd leave
it as only GBP till the ISO say otherwise (though individual users are
welcome to make changes to their version).

--
Steven Murdoch.
email: sjmurdoch@linuxfan.com