Trial Balloon: A new DataStore Architecture?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
01 Nov 2000 13:03:47 -0500

Thanks.  I've taken a look and there are two major problems.

	1) I could not find any form of security model in the GOODS
	   documentation.  Without even a stated security model, I
	   would not trust any distributed system to maintain any sort
	   of financial information.  Indeed, even with a stated
	   security model, I wouldn't trust it unless that model met
	   my criteria.

	   Security model notwithstanding, I could find no
	   documentation regarding the network protocols involved,
	   user/client authentication, or encryption of the network
	   stream.

	2) GOODS is written in C++, but GnuCash is solely written in
           C.  One of the nice benefits is that C is still a more
           portable language than C++.  Also, interfacing between C
           and C++ can vary widely depending on the compiler and
           linker tools.  As a result, I believe the GnuCash team
           would prefer to keep the code restricted to C.  Granted, I
           cannot speak for the team, but I believe that is the
           current concensus.

Again, thanks for the pointer.  GOODS does look like an interesting
project, but I don't think it's quite appropriate, at this stage,
for GnuCash.

-derek