upcoming/planned bills

Mike Sabin m_sabin@mindspring.com
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 23:15:55 -0500

I am not a developer (yet), so I have little to add on that front, but I
would make two comments from a user's perspective:

1.  For people like me, running gnucash as a personal (family) financial
program, budgeting is pretty important.  Folks bother to go through the
pain of entering in every bloody transaction for years at a time,
because they want to achieve greater financial security and prosperity.
Planning for income and expenses, and making sure that something is left
over to save or invest, is really one of the main points of the exercise.
So I hope that these matters will continue to receive some development
attention.

2.  My current approach to budgeting with gnucash is that I have developed
a list of all recurring and expected transactions for the upcoming 3 months,
and I will actually enter these into the register, sans check numbers, and
with expected amounts.  Then I can look at the balance in the register for
those 3 months, and see how the cash is projected to hold up.  If there's
extra, I can put some aside; if not, figure out what to do about it.  I
expect this method to actually be more helpful than the typical monthly
budget and cash flow reports generated by some popular proprietary programs,
because I can project my cash balance with a resolution of about a day,
rather than a month.

Cheers,

Mike Sabin