printing problems

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:13:24 +1100

Bill Gribble writes:
 > On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:25:46AM +1100, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
<snip>

 > With suitable conventions for encoding the object's parameters (they
 > get passed in via a GHashTable) we can use this as a handy way of
 > embedding a LIVE guppi plot in the HTML widget.  I have *no* idea how
 > this interacts with printing.  We can also embed any kind of GTK
 > controls we find useful, live registers, or any other manner of
 > craziness that we want to implement an appropriate "classid" handler
 > for in the gnc-html <object> handler.

OK, very nifty, this would almost certainly be the way to go for
embedding guppi into gtkhtml stuff.

 > The <iframe> tag ("inline" frame) may easily allow us to embed
 > sub-reports and/or scheme code output directly into a "template" HTML
 > file, which makes the HTML look sort of like what Linas was hoping it
 > would:
 >
 >  <iframe src="gnc-scheme:(scheme-func-to-spew-html)">
 >
 > Since we handle the parsing of URLs in gtkhtml, it's easy to add a way
 > of interpreting the "gnc-scheme:" protocol string and evaluating the
 > rest of the URL appropriately.  It may be better to use the <object>
 > tag for that too, but I'm not exactly sure if it will DTRT:
 >
 >  <object classid="gnc-inline-scm">
 >    <param name="form" value="(scheme-func-to-spew-html)">
 >  </object>

Cool.  We probably *could* use that kind of thing to implement similar
functionality to what I'm busy doing with gtkpanes, but after thinking
about it I think panes will be better.  It's easier to provide a UI
for configurability and we can probably lay things out a little more
precisely.

If anybody wants to disagree, however, feel free, and feel free *right
now* before I do any more implementation :)

 > > It's just that we're still having problems with table splitting,
 > > despite the latest CVS gtkhtml supposedly fixing this.  Is it
 > > somehow possible that the interface has changed in some obscure
 > > fashion causing the page splitting to break?
 >
 > I have no idea.  There's really no "interface" to the gnome-print
 > functionality, just gtk_html_print(GtkHTML *, GnomePrintContext *);
 > I'll have a look when this new HTML code gets more on its feet
 > (hopefully today).

OK, the page splitting is working with the tarball the Helixcode guys
sent me (which may or may not be on anoncvs.gnome.org yet), but the
print preview seems to be borken (only one page is displayed with no
ability to switch between pages).  Can anyone else confirm this for
me?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We are excited and optimistic about its usage going
forward and, yes, we can teach penguins the military
close-order drill", Mark Norton, US Department of Defense.