gnc-scheme URLs (was: printing problems)

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:35:32 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Robert Graham Merkel said:

> Glen Ditchfield writes:
>  > On November 18, 2000 12:13 am, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
>  > > Bill Gribble writes:
>  > >  > ... which makes the HTML look sort of like what Linas was hoping it
>  > >  > would:
>  > >  >
>  > >  >  <iframe src="gnc-scheme:(scheme-func-to-spew-html)">

for the record, my proposals were centered on desperately trying to
avoid spewing html from scheme (that is, avoiding having any html
embedded in scheme code).

>  > On November 18, 2000 12:13 am, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
>  > > ... I think panes will be better.  It's easier to provide a UI
>  > > for configurability and we can probably lay things out a little more
>  > > precisely.
>  > >
>  > > If anybody wants to disagree, however, feel free, and feel free *right
>  > > now* before I do any more implementation :)
>  >
>  > HTML and CSS provide good enough layout for me.
>  >

> Yes, but you can't dynamically create new panes, merge them back
> together, and such with straight HTML.

Well, i've heard that gtkhtml has a mini-html-editor built into it.
Is this true?  If so, does it support the creation & arrangement of new
panes?

In my vision of an ideal world, the user could take some standard report,
and then click-n-drag thier way to a custom report:  change fonts,
reposition columns, change column labels, etc.   and do all of that
using some familiar gui (e.g. abiword, or some mini-html-editor).

This would work only if the report was designed mostly in the native
format of the editor (e.g. some docbook-like thing for abiword) and the
gnucash report generator splatted actual numeric values into that.
I suspect it requires tinkering with some abiword code to make it right.
It also adds a whole nother layer of dependency. Yuck.

--linas