Budgeting

Matthew Vanecek linux4us@home.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:57:55 -0600

I want a big ol' bat that'll bash me over the head when I exceed the
budget!! (trying to buy a house. :/).  Seriously, I'm thinking Budget as
a super category, with subcategories.  Each subcategory would have a
specific amount tied to it.  Transactions from other accounts would be
applied to configured categories under Budget. i.e., I've got, say, an
Expenses:Utilities:Electricity type, which is tied to a Budget
subcategory "Monopolies".  Every time I enter a transaction from any
account which credits/debits Expenses:Utilities:Electricity, a
corresponding transaction is logically entered in the Monopolies
category.  I'm not sure if maintaining this could be done on the fly, or
if a separate Budget register file would be needed.  Anyhow, the
balances in the various Budget subcategories reflect how much under/over
the budget for that category I am.

Well, anyhow, that's my thoughts on the matter.  I couldn't really
devote time to it,though, as I'm working on another GNUCash-related
project (which I'll post in a little bit), which to me is as useful as
the Budget thing.