refreshing the GUI

James LewisMoss dres@phoenixdsl.com
29 Nov 2000 15:23:19 -0500

>>>>> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:14:00 -0800, Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> said:

 Dave> This is the introduction of the CM, yes. It is intended to
 Dave> manage all major GUI components.

 Dave> Close callbacks are commands -- "close yourself now".

OK.  It doesn't seem quite like a callback, but the component does
tell the CM what to call to cause the close to occur, so I guess it
makes sense. :)

 >> Are all components required to register with the CM?

 Dave> All top-level components, yes.

OK

 Dave> The find callback is so components can find related components
 Dave> in the same class (for example, if the user opens and already
 Dave> open account, the existing window should be raised instead of
 Dave> opening a new one).

 >> Ah.  Hmm.  Seems you are including two things here.
 >>
 >> 1) Data update callbacks.
 >> 2) Component management.
 >>
 >> That accurate?

 Dave> Yes, it seemed to me that 1) (with respect to the GUI) was a
 Dave> part of 2), so it made sense to me to combine them. But perhaps
 Dave> they should be separate things.

I agree.  Just seemed the email introduced what was going on as 1 when
in fact it was 2 which happens to include 1.  Just confused here. :)

 Dave> You could use this to, say, close all components in a
 Dave> particular class (e.g., close all help windows). Close
 Dave> operations such as this are already used.

Sounds good.  Sorry to bug you with a bunch of questions.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!