major changes coming up

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:52:25 -0700

Christian Stimming writes:
> Dave Peticolas wrote:
> > All of these changes will make what has been a nominally unstable
> > version into a Really Unstable (TM) version. And, while we definitely
> > appreciate both your help in finding the inevitable bugs that will be
> > created by this process and your feedback for improving the interface,
> > we also *strongly* recommend that, at least for a while, you do not
> > use the very latest development version to manage real financial data.
>
> So what about a major change in the version number to reflect this major
> changes in the development?
>
> I'm already using the 1.5-version for most of everyday work, as there
> are a number of useful features in it and (as Dave implied) it proved to
> be stable enough to work with. The question is, how do you name the
> corresponding source directories for 1.5-pre-xml and 1.5-with-xml? These
> names are pretty long. What do people think about 1.5.1 for the
> xml-version? Or 1.5.5, 1.5.9, or even * 1.7 *?

Well, there is already a 1.5.2, so it would have to be 1.5.3. But I'd
rather not release another numbered version of the unstable tree until
the new changes have been in CVS for a while. A numbered release
(especially a 1.7 release) would attract too much attention to a
version that should only be used by developers.

dave