major changes coming up

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
16 Oct 2000 10:38:11 -0400

Christian Stimming <stimming@uclink.berkeley.edu> writes:

> So what about a major change in the version number to reflect this major
> changes in the development?
>
> I'm already using the 1.5-version for most of everyday work, as there

The whole point of 1.5 is to be a development version.  Consider the
fact that every time you start version 1.5, you get a warning that
this is a development version and you should not use it for real
financial data.  The fact that you chose to ignore this warning and
use a development version for real work implies that either you are
very trusting (and willing to live with the consequences when it eats
your data), or you are a God(TM) and are willing to help debug
problems with your real data.

In either case, changing the release from 1.5 to something else is
completely unwarranted.  The whole point of 1.5 is that we need a
place to work on new features that may or may not be completely
working.  Indeed, the 1.5 releases are just tags along the CVS
mainline at (hopefully) stable places.

If you want a stable version, use 1.4.  Or you can be daring and
continue to use 1.5.  Just consider that the changes will go into CVS
first and be tested by the bleeding-edge testers before they are
tagged as 1.5.  Hopefully.