How many people are using guile 1.3 (not 1.3.4) and can't easily switch?

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:43:01 -0700

Rob Browning writes:
> Richard -Gilligan- Uschold <uschold@cs.ucf.edu> writes:
>
> > I'm using guile 1.3, only because the rpm I downloaded for 1.4.4
> > required it.  I thought it odd that it wasn't using a more recent
> > version.  I'll upgrade to 1.4.7 to see if that solves the problem.
>
> I seem to recall that there was some ugliness with 1.3 anyway, and
> that the guile people would really prefer people use 1.3.4.  I can't
> remember what the issue was, though...

The issue is that Redhat 6.x uses guile-1.3. That means if there are
any other programs which link to guile, upgrading to guile-1.3.4 will
be a pain because the library major version # changed and those other
programs will break. I don't know if there are other programs that
link to it, though.

dave