How many people are using guile 1.3 (not 1.3.4) and can't easily switch?

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
18 Oct 2000 15:02:35 -0500

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> The issue is that Redhat 6.x uses guile-1.3. That means if there are
> any other programs which link to guile, upgrading to guile-1.3.4 will
> be a pain because the library major version # changed and those other
> programs will break. I don't know if there are other programs that
> link to it, though.

OK.  Well it's unfortunate that redhat didn't separate the library
package from the development package and make it so that you could
leave the old libs installed in parallel with the new ones, but I
suppose there's nothing we can do about that now unless we're going to
ship our own guile 1.3 rpms :>

To get guile 1.3 working I'll have to install guile manually (because
AFAIK there aren't any debian packages for that version anymore), so
it'll take a little bit longer to figure this out.

Actually, if anyone's got guile 1.3 installed on a redhat system, and
they're interested, could you install the latest version of g-wrap,
try to build gnucash, and send me the result?  Then I can probably fix
it by just looking at the diffs for the right two versions of g-wrap.

That'd save some time, but it's not a big deal either way.

Thanks