Get PostgreSQL installed as part of the distros

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
24 Oct 2000 20:12:14 -0500

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@hex.net> writes:

> The options that leap to mind are:

What did you think about the info I got on embedding MySQL and
PosgreSQL (did I post that?).

If not, I spoke to both camps, and the MySQL people said that they
already have a patch that'll allow embedded use.  They just have to
get around to auditing and incorporating it, and the PostgreSQL people
said that you could pretty easily launch a copy of postgresql in a
"sandbox" and talk to it from your app.  With a tiny amount more
coding effort, you could fix it so that you talked to the server over
a filesystem socket instead of a port.

Elegant or not, either would allow us to store the data in the user's
home dir, and wouldn't require *any* administrative setup/special
priveleges above/beyond a normal gnucash install, which can still be
done as a regular user.