expense tracking with reports or searches?

Tom K. Weckstrom Tom.K.Weckstrom@F-Secure.com
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:05:52 +0300

       Hello!

I started using GnuCash 1.4.4 last week.
I use it for personal purposes - mainly to track my financial expenses, but
also income.
I have quite a long account structure for expenses (three levels in
hierarchy, about 30 expense accounts).

So, a couple of questions:

1) I can see the sum of the lower level expense accounts in the balance of a
higher level expense account. I want to track expenses by month, week,
quarter, and year, at least.
For example, I have a hierarchy of expense accounts:
- Transportation
---- Car
-------- Gasoline
-------- Repairments
-------- ...
---- Bus tickets
---- ...

Now, how to get a report on Transportation expenses from August 2000?
What about Car expenses only from June to September 2000?
- The Find functionality does not show any sum rows in the search result
report. :-(
- The general account list only shows the total balance (including all the
transactions) but I only want to see to some of them.

2) I also have an improvement suggestion:
When making a search for transactions, I'd prefer that marking a high level
account would automatically also include the lower level accounts under the
high level account to the search. Currently, if I make a search for the Car
expense account, only transactions inserted to that particular high level
account will be searched.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
                    Tom

--
Tom Krister Weckström            tel     +358 9 8599 0133
Product Management Engineer      fax     +358 9 8599 0599

F-Secure products: Securing the Mobile, Distributed Enterprise