new text format for HTML files

Christophe Guychard Christophe.Guychard@enst-bretagne.fr
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:42:11 +0200

Hi,

> What about the jade tools? Those are the most common tools
> used for gnome programs and their docbook manuals.
>
> dave

Okay, I'm not against jade & DSSL and I used tu use that.But, as far as
I know it is easier to write XSL and/or XML/CSS than DSSL files.

So If there's no need to have another sort of output than those available
with jade (or sgmltools) and Docbook/DSSL, It is a good solution. And it is
the standard format for glib/gtk and all Gnome libraries, and a lot of other
projects. But it is SGML...

But, if you need to have several kind of output-files from one single doc
source-file, XML seems to be a better solution, IMHO.
For example, I have to
write, professonal purpose, some docs in WinHelp, and several HTML output
(depends on who gets the doc). But I did not want to write several times the
same docs or do copy/pastes between files. So I have one single XML set of
files (I can even have several languages in one single file), which I process
through several XSL using xt (www.4xt.org) to get all the docfiles I need to
distribute.

If we aim to get from one-single set of docs: the user-docs, dev-docs, Faq's,
in web, printable or other format, maybe looking at an XML written source doc
is a good solution. We could also publish a website using the same set of XML
files, using 'dynamic' processing (see xml.apache.org and java.apache.org) or
'static' processing (xt, saxon or xerces/xalan).

Furthermore, XML formatted files (if you except processing instructions and Dtd
declarations) can be processed with most SGML tools, as it is a kind of
SGML-subset.

SGML or XML, the switch from one to the other is not difficult to do.

XtoF.