new text format for HTML files

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@hex.net
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:55:22 -0500

On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:54:07 PDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com>  said:
> "Christophe Guychard" writes:
> >  and I think it is possible to use XML to write Gnucash docs.
> > I'm sure it will be more flexible than SGML file format.
> > First because it's more simple (I think) to write XSL than
> > DSSL files, so you can easily write your own "transformers"
> >
> > You can have a look to XSL that have written by Norman Walsh
> > ( http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xsl/index.html), which are easy to
> > use and support internationalisation.
> >
> > Plus, XML is mainly SGML-compatible, and you can use most of the tools
> > you use to manage SGML documents with your XML.

> >  Docbook2x (see freshmeat)is quite usable
>
> What about the jade tools? Those are the most common tools
> used for gnome programs and their docbook manuals.

Indeed.

Norm Walsh's "Modular DocBook Stylesheets" are _quite_ usable, and
quite widely available.

There is little need to write great gobs of DSSSL code when the
main body of such code is _already there_, to the tune of about
5MB worth of code.

If the only option was to start from scratch, XSL _might_ be a good
option; when that would result in discarding 5MB of _good code_, that
seems rather silly.
--
aa454@freenet.carleton.ca - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/sgml.html>
"War is  a matter of  vital importance to  the State; the  province of