Inventory and payroll

Phillip Shelton shelton@usq.edu.au
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:50:29 +1000

Thank you all very much for your time and effort in helping me learn about
accounting.

Ok, do you mind trying to tell me what is a better, more correct thing
gnucash should be doing?

For my part I would expect that it should record the number of shares and
the `unrealised value' i.e. the amount of money you would have if you sold
them. Now these are related by price.

-----Original Message-----
From: gnucash-devel-admin@lists.gnumatic.com
[mailto:gnucash-devel-admin@lists.gnumatic.com]On Behalf Of John Hasler
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 10:38 AM
To: gnucash-devel@lists.gnumatic.com
Subject: Re: Inventory and payroll

Phillip Shelton writes:
> In the online docs the Stock, Mutual Fund account is a three column
> account that tracks price, _Number of shares_ and cost.

My portfolio is much to small and simple to require any computerization,
but if I understand this account correctly, it computes "cost" as the
product of price and number of shares.  This is, IMHO, incorrect.

> Doesn't this mean that we already have the start of inventory recording
> in Gnucash?

Accounting packages often include inventory control modules.

> But you have to keep a record of the number of shares somewhere else.

In an inventory control system (a simple one, for stocks).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)