Inventory and payroll

John Hasler john@dhh.gt.org
11 Sep 2000 20:36:56 -0500

Phillip Shelton writes:
> Ok, do you mind trying to tell me what is a better, more correct thing
> gnucash should be doing?

The cost of a securities purchase is the amount of money you paid your
broker.  This not generally equal to price times number of shares: it
includes commissions, rounding "errors", etc.

> For my part I would expect that it should record the number of shares and
> the `unrealised value' i.e. the amount of money you would have if you
> sold them.

Any `unrealised value' is purely speculative.  You do not know the amount
of money you would have if you sold them until you do so.  While such
speculative numbers have their place, it is not your accounts.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)