What, exactly, does 'cleared' mean (in the context of reconciling)?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@hex.net
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:45:22 -0500

On 14 Sep 2000 17:29:37 PDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net>  said:
> I'm rewriting a tiny piece or two of the documentation, and now I'm
> looking at the stuff about reconciling your accounts
> (xacc-recnwin.sgml).  I'd like to write an explanation of what the
> letter 'c', in the reconcile window, means ... but I don't know.  I
> *think* it means that I've somehow ascertained that my bank is aware
> of the transaction, but I have not yet seen it on my monthly
> statement.  I cannot find any documentation that explains this.

The four statuses are:
a) FREC - 'f'
   - Indicating that the transaction has been reconciled, and absolutely
     "frozen" into place.  Can't be changed no more.
b) NREC - 'n'
   - No reconciliation information is in yet.
c) CREC - 'c'
   - This normally indicates that you've seen it on your bank statement,
     and have marked it as such.
d) YREC - 'y'
   - When you complete the reconciliation, agreeing the totals, all
     the CREC/'c' records get changed to YREC/'y'

Basically, 'c' status indicates that the entry is _provisionally_
reconciled, which can be easily toggled as you work on the reconciliation.
Once you're done, the 'c's get turned to 'y'.
--
aa454@freenet.carleton.ca - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
``God decided to take the  devil to court and settle their differences