What, exactly, does 'cleared' mean (in the context of reconciling)?

Terry tboldt@attglobal.net
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:18:51 -0400

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2000 17:29:37 PDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
> Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net>  said:
> > I'm rewriting a tiny piece or two of the documentation, and now I'm
> > looking at the stuff about reconciling your accounts
> > (xacc-recnwin.sgml).  I'd like to write an explanation of what the
> > letter 'c', in the reconcile window, means ... but I don't know.  I
> > *think* it means that I've somehow ascertained that my bank is aware
> > of the transaction, but I have not yet seen it on my monthly
> > statement.  I cannot find any documentation that explains this.
>
> The four statuses are:
> a) FREC - 'f'
>    - Indicating that the transaction has been reconciled, and absolutely
>      "frozen" into place.  Can't be changed no more.
Hmmm .. I don't recall ever having seen this flag - what action triggers this
flag - 'n' is shown upon creation of a transaction, I can click on the field
and change 'n' to 'c' (haven't yet figured out the usefulness of this), 'n' or
'c' gets changed to 'y' after reconciliation as you state. But I have never
seen 'f'. How do you 'freeze" a transaction?

Terry