Books/Accounting Periods proposal

Linas Vepstas linas@backlot.linas.org
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:00:58 -0500

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:01:31PM -0400, James LewisMoss was heard to rema=
rk:
> This brings up something I was thinking.
>=20
> It'd be nice to stop using "files" as such to save gnucash data.
> Instead give the user a default path (which they can add to if they
> like) and search for books on that path.
>=20
> If they wanted to open a new book they'd say "New Book".  It'd prompt
> them for a name and then handle all the file creation for them without
> them having to pick a file name and location.
>=20
> Pros: gives us the ability to easily do the above with a setup like
> TestAccount/
> TestAccount/Info
> TestAccount/Year1999
> TestAccount/Year2000
> TestAccount/Current
> TestAccount/config.options
> TestAccount/DefaultReports
> TestAccount/etc
>=20
> Cons: takes control over the file setup from the user
>=20
> What do people think?

I'm for it.

(however, files are supposed to be written out by the 'backend', just like
it is for the sql & the rpc backend.  We'd need some generic api to allow t=
he above,
so tht e.g. sql, which doesn't need any of this, remains unaffected ...

--linas

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/--