addressbook export module?

Linas Vepstas linas@backlot.linas.org
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:19:48 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

Is there a way to use the evolution contact manager inside another
program?  (I haven't yet , umm  played with bonobo ... so my question
is umm, a bit naive, but serious ...)

I'm working on gnucash, and we need to store names and addresses so
that they can be printed on an invoice.

Traditionally, this is done by making 'name-address-phone-etc'
a part of the accounting app. with its own gui, stored in its own
database, etc.   But this is dumb, why should I reinvent if I can
somehow leverage evolution?

So here's what I think I want ...
-- a way to hit a button in gnucash, and have just the evolution
   contact manager pop up.
-- allow user to select an existing entry (possibly using ldap),
   or add a new one.
-- get a GUID from evolution that uniquely identifies that entry
   (so I can store it with my gnucash account info)
-- be able to fetch name/addr info based on the guid (so I can
   pump it into the invoice report)

Any thoughts? is this easy? hard?  Do I have to seriously modify
evolution to make it do this, or is there some readme/sample code out
there that already shows me how to do exactly this?

--linas