Suggestion: Register Size

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:52:10 -0700

"Klaus Ridder" writes:
> Hi again!
>
> I hope that I'm not "annoying" you with so many suggestions. I am just
> working very intensively with gnucash at the moment and post here what I
> think would make gnucash better. It is your decision what to take from it

Please don't worry, all suggestions are appreciated!

> REGISTER SIZE
> Quite often I have a register with hundreds of transactions. Although I have
> a 1600 resolution, not so many transactions can be seen at once, ecpecially
> in "multi line" view.
> If it looked like http://rmm.wspse.de/gnucash.gif it would be more
> convenient (not so many empty pixels on the top and the bottom).

Are you using 1.4.x? 1.6.0 will have a much more compact layout.
It's not quite as compact as what you've shown, but is about as
small as you can make it without having characters touch the
borders.

> SINGLE LINE / MULTI LINE KEY SWITH
> It would be great if I could change between single an multi line view with a
> keyboard shortcut (I didn't find this option anywhere)

You can associate hot-keys with menu items by highliting the menu item
and pressing the key combination you want to use. For the register, you
can't use a key combination that is also an editing key, so you may have
to experiment a bit. But, say, Ctrl-1 for single, Ctrl-2, etc. should work.

> REGISTER LAYOUT
> If you use a 1600 resolution, all information of the double line view would
> easily fit into one line. I also always hated quicken for not having this
> option. Would be great if gnucash had it in some future version (1.8 / 2.0).
>
> RECONCEAL SORTING OPTIONS (not so important)
> I always want my reconceal view be sorted by amount. It would be great if
> gnucash saved the "last view" or at least had buttons for "sort by amount",
> "Sort by date", ... insted of just a sub-sub-menu.

Ok, these probably won't be in 1.6, but are good suggestions for the
next development cycle.

> So, I now continue with entering my transactions; by the way: Gnucash works
> great on Win2000 with Exceed! (running gnucash on a remote linux server).

Cool, thanks for the report!

dave