word change requested for "to scrub"

James A. Treacy treacy@home.net
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:05:36 -0500

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:33:30PM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:

> However, since at least Ben and me were convinced of that other wrong
> semantics, it seems necessary to find a better name for that operation
> (as grib quickly suggested). Here's a list of proposals -- please,
> native English speakers, pick your favorite word and give some comments.

Why not use 'find unbalanced transactions'? If that is too long, 'find
unbalanced'.

This has two good features. First, the word find makes it
unthreatening - the action will not go and change things behind your
back. Words like cleanse, and most of the other words you suggested,
lead people (who don't read documentation) to think it could do
something dangerous. Second, it is descriptive.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org