Comments, Observations, and some XML file format questions

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:03:58 -0400

In a message dated: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:49:56 PDT
Jack Greenbaum said:

>Paul Lussier wrote:
>
>> The reason behind my question is this.  I want to write some
>> (perl-based) command-line utilities to manipulate the file to do
>> things like add/clone transactions, but I need to know how to access
>> some of the existing transactions.
>
>This should be straight forward to implement in a Scheme script. GnuCash
>has the Guile scripting engine, which executes a dialect of Scheme. This
>should be easier to do from Scheme running within GnuCash than going
>through all the hassle of recreating the GnuCash engine API to directly
>manipulate XML objects.

I suppose I could use this as an excuse to learn Scheme/Guile/Lisp :)

>The part I'm fuzzy on is how to hook this into the GUI. In a typical GUI driven
>app backed by a scripting engine, like EDA tools with TCL or any M$oft
>application with VBA, you can create a macro writen in the scripting
>language and then that macro can be made available from the
>application's "Tools->Macros" menu. I don't know if it is this
>straightforward in GnuCash. If you wait long enough I'll write a FAQ on
>how to do this myself since I have a similar itch that is moving me from
>Quicken to GNC, but perhaps someone can answer sooner rather than my
>later.

Huh?  Who said anything about hooking into the GUI?  That's exactly
the problem I'm trying get around.  The whole point is to write
COMMAND LINE utilities to manipulate the data.  I don't *WANT* to use
the GUI.
--

Seeya,
Paul