Comments, Observations, and some XML file format questions

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:01:47 -0400

In a message dated: 27 Aug 2001 17:20:37 EDT
Derek Atkins said:

>cbbrowne@hex.net writes:
>
>> .. But if the connection has to be synchronous, that means that the
>> SQL server has to be accessible all the time.
>
>True, but I am also assuming the potential for multiple users
>(otherwise, why not wait to add the transaction until you get home?)
>Based on this assumption, you need some external serializer (read: a
>server) to play that role.

Well, the reason I can't wait until I get home is because my memory
for details like this is horrible.  Currently I use my Palm Pilot
(actual Visor) and a Palm app called Qmate.  Unfortunately Qmate
requires sync'ing under Windows in order to get the QIF file.  I no
longer have Windows anywhere.  I've been planning on installing
Win4Lin or VMWare on my laptop, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Since I have constant access to my home system while at work, it's
trivial for me to just add the data directly into gnc and be done
with it.  However, my connection is over a 56K line, which is quite
painful to bring up the GUI over.

>Honestly, if we could run without serialization, great.  But I don't
>see that happening.  In fact, this cron job scares me!  What if you've
>got your file open and running when the cron job hits?  Will it find
>your open file and somehow convey to the running Gnucash that it needs
>to add new transactions?

Well, personally, anyone who sets this stuff up under cron, IMO, is
asking for trouble.  My intention for these command-line utilities
was *never* to be able to implement scheduled transactions.  I
strictly want to be able to do things like add a new transaction and
clone existing transactions but add a new date.  That's it.  What
anyone else does with my code is their choice :)

>Granted, nothing says we can't have multiple ways. :)

TIMTOWTDI :)
--

Seeya,
Paul