Comments, Observations, and some XML file format questions

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
28 Aug 2001 11:11:26 -0400

"Michael T. Garrison Stuber" <garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net> writes:

> > Ahh, that's what client-server systems are for.  You have your Gnucash
> > client that connects to your SQL server.  That should work fine for
> > your 56K link ;)
>
> Have you actually tried this?  I've run the SQL server before (not across a
> modem), and it was trying to recalculate value after value after value when
> I went to exit.  Even with the processing being done server-side, I can't
> imagine that the client would perform well waiting for call after call.  It
> sounds nice in theory, but I think you would need to have the GNUCash
> engine on the server side as well if you really wanted decent performance
> across a 56k modem.  Of course, I could be dead wrong . . .

No, I haven't tried this, actually (my slowest link is a T-1; kind of
hard to test this ;)  _THEORETICALLY_ it should be the case.  There may
be a delay in loading information, but data should be saved to the database
in real-time leaving nothing to do when you exit.

> Personally, I'm still hoping that Bill gets the GUIless GNUCash running.
> I'd love to be able to use a command line or curses interface across SSH
> from anywhere in the world.  (Bandwidth?!  Bandwidth!?  We don't need no
> stinking bandwidth!)

Yea, this would be good, too.  I have nothing against a GUIless
Gnucash.  I'd like to see it, too (I'm all for command-line tools).