Comments, Observations, and some XML file format questions

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:18:55 -0400

> Ahh, that's what client-server systems are for.  You have your Gnucash
> client that connects to your SQL server.  That should work fine for
> your 56K link ;)

Have you actually tried this?  I've run the SQL server before (not across a
modem), and it was trying to recalculate value after value after value when
I went to exit.  Even with the processing being done server-side, I can't
imagine that the client would perform well waiting for call after call.  It
sounds nice in theory, but I think you would need to have the GNUCash
engine on the server side as well if you really wanted decent performance
across a 56k modem.  Of course, I could be dead wrong . . .

Personally, I'm still hoping that Bill gets the GUIless GNUCash running.
I'd love to be able to use a command line or curses interface across SSH
from anywhere in the world.  (Bandwidth?!  Bandwidth!?  We don't need no
stinking bandwidth!)

--
Michael T. Garrison Stuber