guile modules, gnc modules, and interactive debugging.

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
06 Dec 2001 10:37:04 -0600

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 17:28, Rob Browning wrote:
> Having a high level of interactivity can allow for some *much* faster
> debugging cycles, to which I suspect most people who have worked in
> good interactive environments can attest (i.e. allegro CL, MCL, emacs
> elisp, etc.)

I agree, and I agree that this is a good direction for Gnucash to be
moving.

> Finally, I'm not sure at all where gnc-modules stand.  I'm not sure
> it's safe to unload/re-load these, though it seems a little iffy.  You
> could just re-load the .scm files and maybe get those changes...

There was some design thought towards making this possible ...
gnc-modules are reference-counted and dlclosed when unreferenced the
last time.  Of course the unreferencing step is not done by very many of
our gnc-modules currently.  I don't know enough of the runtime linkage
issues to know if it's really possible, but I suspect that it is
probably doable with some caveats.  It will certainly require cleanups
of most of the gnc-modules' load and unload handlers.

b.g.