guile modules, gnc modules, and interactive debugging.

Rob Browning rlb@defaultvalue.org
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:56:51 -0600

Bill Gribble <grib@linuxdevel.com> writes:

>> Finally, I'm not sure at all where gnc-modules stand.  I'm not sure
>> it's safe to unload/re-load these, though it seems a little iffy.  You
>> could just re-load the .scm files and maybe get those changes...
>
> There was some design thought towards making this possible ...
> gnc-modules are reference-counted and dlclosed when unreferenced the
> last time.  Of course the unreferencing step is not done by very many of
> our gnc-modules currently.  I don't know enough of the runtime linkage
> issues to know if it's really possible, but I suspect that it is
> probably doable with some caveats.  It will certainly require cleanups
> of most of the gnc-modules' load and unload handlers.

True, and I'm not sure that there's any *supported* way to fully
redefine a guile module either.  I recall some discussion on the list,
but it's a "*very* hard problem(TM)".  If nothing else, think
redefining (or worse yet undefining) macros. <evil-grin>.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu