Duplicate removal for QIF import, 1st try

Carol Champagne carol@gnumatic.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:49:39 -0600

Bill Gribble wrote:

> There are lots of tweaks to the detection and handling that need to be
> done.  Please let me know what you think the "right" behavior is.

Hi Bill,
I tried this out and couldn't get it to work.... I imported my Quicken
data first, then imported a December Visa statement.  I'd already
entered and reconciled every txn on that statement, but the importer
didn't find any duplicates.  I then tried importing the same Visa
statement a second time, and this time it found duplicates.  I like that
it gives you an opportunity to match up txns. before you import, but I'd
like it to do a few more things.

Here's a "wish list" of how I think I'd like the statement importer to
work....I'm not sure how hard all this is to do, though, or if anyone
else would want it to work this way:

--When the user loads a statement QIF, the importer shows *all* the
statement txns in the left panel.  In the right panel, it shows a list
of unreconciled txns. in that account. (For ex., a Visa statement on the
left and the unreconciled GnuCash Visa account txns on the right.)

--The user finds duplicates and clicks to match them up.  As txns. on
the left are matched with those on the right, the ones on the left
change sort order so they are directly across from their duplicates on
the right.

--Once all the txns are matched up, there will still be some on the left
that don't have duplicates on the right.  For those, the user can either
choose to "Add All", "Add", or "Ignore."  If the user chooses "Add All,"
all remaining statement txns are imported to the account.  If the user
chooses "Add," an option to edit the txn fields appears and the user can
edit each txn before importing it.  "Ignore" tells the importer not to
import that txn.

--The user clicks "Finish" to complete the import.

Once the import is done, a dialog can ask, "Do you want to reconcile
this account now?"  If the user clicks "Yes", the reconcile dialog pops
up, asks for an ending balance and then displays all of the
matched/imported accounts as cleared. If the balances don't agree, the
user can either postpone recon. or jump to the account to correct errors.

One more item for the wish list---what about storing the mappings from
statements in a file somewhere?  For example, Visa might call a payee
"CompUSA12345689" with no transfer account, whereas I call it "CompUSA"
with a transfer account of "Computer."  Once I match up the two
transactions, GnuCash creates a mapping that it will use the next time I
import a Visa statement.  So each time I import a statement, I improve
GnuCash's ability to "guess" the correct GnuCash matching next time.  If
it doesn't find a duplicate txn. to match, then GnuCash can use this
information to auto-fill the txn. fields when importing, based on
previous matching.

Just my $.02. :-)

Thanks,
Carol