xwindows died, after downgrade glibc, (trying to build unstable)

James LewisMoss jimdres@mindspring.com
12 Feb 2001 10:31:36 -0500

old@cs.ucf.edu> said:

 Rick> I'm still trying to build gnucash unstable.=A0 I had upgraded to
 Rick> glibc-2.2.1 for a dependency of Guppi, and that required much
 Rick> further upgrading / rebuilding other packages (such as XFree86)
 Rick> to work with the new glibc. After the downgrade back to
 Rick> glibc-2.1.3-16mdk,=A0xwindows does not come up.

 Rick> =A0

 Rick> startx gives the following error:

 Rick> xauth: error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot
 Rick> open shared object file: No such file or directory

 Rick> =A0

 Rick> also,=A0xemacs won't start in the non windowed mode, it gives:

 Rick> /usr/bin/xemacs: error in loading shared libraries:
 Rick> libXaw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
 Rick> directory

 Rick> Oddly, both of these files exist in /usr/X11R6/lib

 Rick> Any clues would be appreciated.

make sure /usr/X11R6/lib exists in /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

Jim

--=20
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!