xwindows died, after downgrade glibc, (trying to build unstable)

Peter C. Norton spacey@lenin.nu
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:15:03 -0800

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 11:46:58PM -0500, Rick Gilligan Uschold wrote:

> I'm still trying to build gnucash unstable.  I had upgraded to glibc-2.2.1
> for a dependency of Guppi, and that required much further upgrading /
> rebuilding other packages (such as XFree86) to work with the new glibc.
> After the downgrade back to glibc-2.1.3-16mdk, xwindows does not come up.

[...]

> Any clues would be appreciated.

Run ldd on any binaries that give you trouble.  Its very likely that they,
or a libarary they depend on, require symbols in a library that you
relined against while having glibc 2.2.1 installed, and now that you're a
minor number behind where you should be the dynamic linker can't find an
appropriate library.

You'll probably have to either re-install the programs that don't work from
packages or recompile them all (if you still have the source laying around,
maybe you can just re-link everything.  Does libtool help with these kinds
of things?).

Hmm... maybe you could just re-link the libraries that are complaining.
You may be able to extract the various files from the archive, and re-link
and re-resolve the symbols against your currently installed system, assuming
that everything is compatible.  But re-compiling just makes the computer do
the work, and its reliable.  Selectively re-linking requires a lot of your
time, and is quite unreliable.

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.