Budgeting

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:26:23 -0600

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:42:49AM -0500, Gregory Novak wrote:
> Once upon a time there seemed to be some work going on on this, but my
> impression is that no one is currently working on it.  Is this true?  If
> it's not true, who should I contact to contribute?

The budget report is still there, but doesn't work in the development
versions on Gnucash because the reporting system has changed and the
budget report hasn't been ported.

I don't have much useful information to give you, other than a hearty
virtual handshake and words of encouragement :) It would be great if
you got budgeting working in Gnucash.

> So there needs to be some way to tell the budgeting stuff that some
> accounts behave as expenses even though they're classified as
> liabilities or whatever.

It may make sense to look at cash flows rather than (or in addition
to) income/expenses; that is, changes to assets/liabilities rather
than changes to income/expenses.  That would pick up flows between
bank accounts and loan liability accounts.

b.g.