profit/loss with mutual funds

Herbert Thoma tma@iis.fhg.de
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:22:44 +0100

linas@linas.org wrote:

> Once upon a time, there was a field called 'action' associated with each
> transaction, and it was meant to hold some menu selectable annotation:
> e.g. 'cap gain', 'dividend', 'purchase'.  The intent of this field
> was to enable exactly what you are talking about: reports & graphs would
> slice and dice based on the value stored there.

There is one problem with the action field: It is a (translatable)
string. Sometimes I start GnuCash with the C locale, somtimes with
de_DE locale, so in the ation field I get a mixture of buy, sell, ..
and Kauf, Verkauf, ... To use it for reporting it should be an index to a
predefined set of actions (buy, sell, dividend, interest, ...), IMHO.

 Herbert.
--
Herbert Thoma
FhG-IIS A, Studio Department