Comments on GnuCash project goals

Stanley A. Klein sklein@cpcug.org
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:37:38

Perhaps I haven't gotten far enough into GnuCash to do any transactions,
but the ability to do split transactions is absolutely essential for my
business accounting.  For example, when I enter a travel expense voucher,
parts of the expense go to the travel fares, lodging, local travel,
automobile expense, meals, and other sub-accounts of the travel account.  I
also have to keep separate records of automobile mileage on a spreadsheet
because Quick Books won't handle it.

Under US tax law, the fares and lodging are handled one way on the tax
form, the meals another, and the mileage yet another.

Your issue of tagging transactions could be implemented by the same tagging
of accounts that I need.  Just tag the accounts in the categories you
mentioned and put the transactions in those accounts.  Similarly, create
subaccounts of a dividend account for franked and unfranked dividends and
split the dividend into those subaccounts.  The account tagging is just an
additional user-defined parameter to be carried with the account
definition, that can be accessed for reporting purposes.

Recording the number of shares traded is comparable to my need for
recording automobile mileage.  In each case it would be a non-cash
parameter with calculations that turn it into a cash item.  (In the US you
have the option of recording your actual automobile expenses or taking a
prescribed flat rate per mile.  I usually take the flat rate, that normally
is announced once a year.)

Stan Klein