Image enabling gnucash?

Bakki Kudva bakki@navaco.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:17:16 -0500

Dave,

Thank you for that quick response. I just checked out the sources from
cvs and will study them over the next days (weeks!?). Hopefully I can
come up with some way of intelligently integrating the functionality.

Dave Peticolas wrote:

 > To be honest I had never even heard of this application, but it
 > sounds very interesting. And anything that uses the term 'screen
 > scraping' is ok in my book.
 >
 > It sounds like this would be a fairly specialized application, so it
would
 >  need to be something that was turned off by default so as not to
 > clutter up the interface for personal users. But as long as the code
 >  is modular I don't see why it couldn't go into CVS.

Ofcourse it makes sense for it to be tuned off as default. Could be
enabled via a new panel in Settings -> preferences..? But even personal
users could benefit a great deal with image enabling. At tax time, when
something under warranty breaks, when a maintenance agreement expires or
whatever ALL of your receipts/credit card slips etc will be on line. No
more digging through that shoe box. Scanners and hard drives have become
cheap enough for this to be practical for the average home account. I
think most people may have 3-6K of transactions/year. On an average you
could store about 20K of compressed tiff images in 1 GB. So this IS
imaging for the rest of us.

 > A good place to start would be the HACKING document in the gnucash CVS
 >  repository. Please do all development using the HEAD branch.

I am already on it. Thank you,

bakki
--
   .-.    | Bakki Kudva__________________Open Source EDMS______
   oo|    | Navaco                       ph:  814-833-2592