Image enabling gnucash?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 07:13:52 +1100

Bakki Kudva writes:
 > teri wrote:
 >
 > In its current state OCR seems to work only in very controlled
 > situations. eg. a warranty return card which you have control over and
 > you force the user to write into boxes, or neatly typed paper documents
 > which law firms use to do full text OCR and indexing etc. However free
 > form OCR from various qualities of underlying images is error prone and
 > the fix non-trivial. Even in production environments OCR finds use only
 > in some apps. I am afraid that the average home user has such a wide
 > variety of receipts and paperwork that you'd have to manually check OCR
 > results anyhow. You wouldn't want $80.00 entered as $8000 from a poor
 > original. Also some times the receipts don't have ALL the information.
 > You'd have to deduce where you bought something based on your own memory
 > since the cash register receipt may not have a merchant name or anything
 > on it.

Also, there isn't any open-source OCR software available AFAIK, and it
would be most preferable (both for technical and philosophical
reasons) to base this system completely around open source, rather
than have a key component proprietary.

If you *are* looking for a challenging project to make your name,
open-source OCR is probably a good one :)

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We can build a better product than Linux" - Jim Allchin,
chief Windows Technologist, Microsoft Corporation.