etags crashes, ctags not

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:43:49 +1100

Darryl Okahata writes:
 > Christian Stimming <stimming@uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:
 >
 > > On Tuesday 27 February 2001 10:59, James LewisMoss wrote:
 > > > etags != ctags
 > > >
 > > > ctags produces a vi tags file.  etags produces an emacs tags file.
 > >
 > > I don't agree.
 >
 >      For that matter, why is gnucash even trying to use either?  Some
 > people don't have ctags or etags, and, has been pointed out, may have
 > buggy implementations.  If some programmer wants to use ctags or etags,
 > they can manually use them.  It's not difficult, and running ctags/etags
 > just unnecessarily slows down the build process.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think having a tags file is very
useful, and IIRC it's a very small part of the time required to do the
build.

By the way, what's better about cscope?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

<telsa> I left my client on #gtk+ overnight and there was nothing
in scrollback at all except quit/rejoins.
<bighead> telsa: well its been that for, I think 3 days now
(ever since started coming back on IRC)
<telsa> Clearly they are busy implementing telepathy,
and dog-fooding it. :)