user roles

John Hasler john@dhh.gt.org
02 Jan 2001 20:32:18 -0600

Eugene Tyurin writes:
> 1. Nothing can be *deleted*.  Entries can only be voided or superceded, but
> they have to remain in the database for the audit/logging purposes.

I proposed this some time ago.  I think it not only preserves an audit
trail but also simplifies the design.

> 2. All database entries (even superceded ones) must be associated with
> the userid and time of creation.  This way a user can give a date to the
> program and obtain an exact snapshot of the books.

Put all entries into a single table (journal).  Never delete or alter any
of them.  Instead, add new correcting entries.  This eliminates the need
for an audit table.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org