user roles

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:03:12 -0500

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:31:56PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Eugene Tyurin writes:
> > 1. Nothing can be *deleted*.  Entries can only be voided or superceded, but
> > they have to remain in the database for the audit/logging purposes.
>
> I proposed this some time ago.  I think it not only preserves an audit
> trail but also simplifies the design.
>
> > 2. All database entries (even superceded ones) must be associated with
> > the userid and time of creation.  This way a user can give a date to the
> > program and obtain an exact snapshot of the books.
>
> Put all entries into a single table (journal).  Never delete or alter any
> of them.  Instead, add new correcting entries.  This eliminates the need
> for an audit table.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you elaborate?

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

May the circle be open but unbroken.
May the peace of the Lord and Lady go in our hearts.
We merry meet, and merry part, and merry meet again.
Blessed be.
		-- Traditional Circle Opening