user roles

John Hasler john@dhh.gt.org
03 Jan 2001 10:37:23 -0600

I wrote:
> Put all entries into a single table (journal).  Never delete or alter any
> of them.  Instead, add new correcting entries.  This eliminates the need
> for an audit table.

Dr. David C. Merrill write:
> Sounds like an interesting idea. Can you elaborate?

I have a "correction_ref" field in each entry.  In normal entries it is
null, but in corrections it points to the entry being corrected.  I was
going to add a corrections table (a view, actually) so that the engine
would not have to fumble through half the journal looking for possible
corrections to each entry being retrieved, but I've now decided to permit
only explicit correcting entries.  My textbook tells me that journal
entries should not be altered once posted.  I am going to keep the
"correction_ref" field so that the user will be able to easily retrieve the
corrected entry.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org