scripting language vs. developer community size

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:37:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:

> On the other hand, perhaps you folks are using "ability to program Scheme"
> in the same way Linus is using "ability to debug kernel problems without
> a kernel debugger", i.e. as an IQ filter to keep dumb people from contributing
> code.  I respect that strategy, actually, in the case of Linux.
> Is that partly the way you folks think about it?

Note that GnuCash isn't really making the decision. Scheme is the
scripting language of the GNU project. It integrates with all the GNU
stuff.

> I don't think I'm saying "you should do this".  I'm simply noting that
> you folks are perhaps needlessly stunting the growth of your project by
> not allowing coding in more mainstream languages.

It's GNU that are doing that, not GnuCash! Argue this RMS, who likes Lisp
type languages!

> - Dan

ABS

--