scripting language vs. developer community size

Dan Kegel dank@alumni.caltech.edu
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:50:27 -0800

Al Snell wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > On the other hand, perhaps you folks are using "ability to program Scheme"
> > in the same way Linus is using "ability to debug kernel problems without
> > a kernel debugger", i.e. as an IQ filter to keep dumb people from contributing
> > code.  I respect that strategy, actually, in the case of Linux.
> > Is that partly the way you folks think about it?
>
> Note that GnuCash isn't really making the decision. Scheme is the
> scripting language of the GNU project. It integrates with all the GNU
> stuff.
>
> > I don't think I'm saying "you should do this".  I'm simply noting that
> > you folks are perhaps needlessly stunting the growth of your project by
> > not allowing coding in more mainstream languages.
>
> It's GNU that are doing that, not GnuCash! Argue this RMS, who likes Lisp
> type languages!

Yes, he does.  But he doesn't dictate what individual projects do.
I'm sure he wouldn't object if some non-Scheme scripting language was
supported by GnuCash.

Sorry, you can't blame this on RMS - you folks have free will!
- Dan