backend-sql, network hacks

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:30:26 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that David Merrill said:

> And I am completely lost in scheme. I can find my way around in C but
> am not a C programmer. I'm perfectly willing to learn, but be prepared
> to deal with it. I've been doing SQL on Oracle for many years now, and
> my C is very rusty. :-)
>
> So iow we need to find some division of labor that will rely on me
> mostly for the database design and administration, at least initially.
>
> When you say you revived the sql code, do you mean the C code with
> embedded SQL that I have already seen?
>
> If/when you can get that code to the point that it connects to the
> database and we can start actually writing the sql itself, I will be
> able to take over the sql. I wouldn't dare try to write that C layer
> by myself, but I think I can maintain it once the basics are there.

Hmm, ... In my view of the problem, 99% of the sql code will be C, not
sql. And most of the sql is low-brow:
select * from xyz where guid='deadbeef';

no fancy table joins, stored proceedures, etc. that I can envision at
this point.

The code I have compiles, writes, and sort-of reads the sql db. It can
store accounts & transactions, and can fetch accounts.   After this
weekend, it should be demoable.

--linas