backend-sql, network hacks

David Merrill david@lupercalia.net
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:10:07 -0500

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 12:48:04PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Well, I just (finally) got gnucash working again (with much thanks to
> Rob for helping me with getting g-wrap working).  Now that I can
> actually play again, I was planning to integrate the RPC code in and
> see if I could build a client/server.  But I don't know when I'll
> actually have the time to work on it.  I've got two papers I need to
> write before the end of the month, so I don't have _much_ free hacking
> time.

And I am completely lost in scheme. I can find my way around in C but
am not a C programmer. I'm perfectly willing to learn, but be prepared
to deal with it. I've been doing SQL on Oracle for many years now, and
my C is very rusty. :-)

So iow we need to find some division of labor that will rely on me
mostly for the database design and administration, at least initially.

When you say you revived the sql code, do you mean the C code with
embedded SQL that I have already seen?

If/when you can get that code to the point that it connects to the
database and we can start actually writing the sql itself, I will be
able to take over the sql. I wouldn't dare try to write that C layer
by myself, but I think I can maintain it once the basics are there.

> Linas Vepstas <linas@linas.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Derek, David,
> >
> > I wanted to touch base & provide status & coordinate a bit.  Over the
> > last weekend, I revived the sql code, and hope to work on it some more
> > next weekend.  Since this overlaps and maybe clashes with where you were
> > going, I wanted to talk.   Right now, I'm pursuing the theory that if I get
> > someof the core infrastructure in place, it will be a lot easier for you
> > to enhance/modify/add features.  Is this indeed practical?

Linux Documentation Project                   david@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
		-- Justice Louis D. Brandeis