how to create nice HTML tables in reports?

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:36:24 -0600

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:01:48AM -0600, Christopher Browne wrote:
> The latter would be preferable, except that the HTML widget in use
> has, um, "limited" support for CSS.

Well, I'm not in a position to implement CSS in gtkhtml, but I made a
stab at similar functionality with the <html-document> code that's
recently in CVS.  ATM, the "style" that you can set for an element is
limited to a font size, face, color and a set of attributes, but that
can be expanded.  I'm guessing that many of CSS's style elements can
be implemented with tiny little tables, which isn't the most efficient
thing in the universe, but I could put it into the
report writer's face.

> Hiding the table generation behind an abstraction is the right
> answer, regardless, as that allows the implementation to change if
> necessary.  And perhaps there needs to be more hashing out of what
> implementation to prefer.

What's your opinion about the abstraction that's in CVS currently?

b.g.