how to create nice HTML tables in reports?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@mail.hex.net
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:01:48 -0600

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:38:38 PST, the world broke into rejoicing as
Christian Stimming <stimming@uclink.berkeley.edu>  said:
> On Sunday 21 January 2001 13:09, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
>> Have a look at the development version, There's a bunch of table
>> generation code in it that ALL reports are going to get converted
>> to using.

> I did have a look at the development version. The existence of table
> generation code is good, but it doesn't answer any of my questions.

The Right Answer is for there to be table generation code that
supports a "useful idiom" for displaying nice tables.

The problem, at this point, is that we're seated at the horns of a
dilemma, as there are a couple of alternatives:

-> Making "fairly nice tables" via fairly sophisticated combinations
   of <td> </td>, or

-> Making nice tables with a little help from CSS.

The latter would be preferable, except that the HTML widget in use
has, um, "limited" support for CSS.

Hiding the table generation behind an abstraction is the right answer,
regardless, as that allows the implementation to change if necessary.
And perhaps there needs to be more hashing out of what implementation
to prefer.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/languages.html